Clinical Student Responsibilities
Volunteer will adhere to HIPAA regulations in ensuring patient confidentiality
Volunteer will be on-time, reliable, and willing to execute responsibilities listed below
Volunteer will be an active member in ensuring the efficiency, reputation, and longevity of the clinic
Prior to Clinic Session:
- Sign-Up for clinic date
- Read over orientation/teaching presentation before clinic session
- Please dress professionally, wear your white coat and bring your stethoscope
- Coffee and bagels will be provided by us. But please bring your own meal/snacks if you prefer because you will
likely get hungry during the day
During Clinic Session:
- Obtain & review patient triage information (chief complaint, vitals) from pre-clinical student
- Conduct patient encounter, completing a full history and physical for new patients and focused history and physical for returning patients
- Teach and allow pre-clinical student to conduct certain parts of history/physical
- Present history/physical/assessment/plan to attending (allow pre-clinical student to conduct some parts of presentation) & see patient with attending
- Revise plan, prepare consults/medication & lab prescriptions and review all this information with patient
- Escort patient to social work area after clinical encounter
- Complete all appropriate paperwork
- Please sign the forms where indicated. Also, always include a written plan where indicated.
- Please PRINT your name next to your signature. ***
- Make sure the Attending physician signs BEFORE returning the chart to the managers. Otherwise, we need to get the MD signature during the week.
- To ease clinic flow: Once you're ready to precept, if there's a line waiting for the attending, go to Social Work first to start the sign out process. Remember to tell your patient that they must be seen by Social Work before they leave the clinic.
After Clinic Session:
- Conduct “Sign-Out” for all your patients, including information about diagnosis, labs/medications ordered, and plan for follow-up
- Senior staff member/Clinic Manager will be in touch with you regarding your patients and will coordinate with you follow-up phone calls, lab follow-ups, future appointments, etc.
There is no minimum or maximum required attendance at clinic sessions
Senior staff will do their best to assure that volunteers are assigned fairly so everyone gets a chance to attend a number of clinic sessions during the year
Volunteers are expected to be at the clinic for the entirety of the session (11am – 6pm), including any orientation/teaching/sign-out events before and after